Keeping track of chicken types during hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by karenej, Mar 18, 2017.

1. karenej

karenej Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2016
    Northcentral Alabama
    So I've got 31 eggs about to hatch any day. There are a mix of lavender ameraucanas, ee, and oe. How do I tell which chicks are which? I know the lavs will be whitish gray. Could I take the top off between hatching and put a band on their leg or marks on their toes with a sharpie? But I thought you're not supposed to take the top off during a hatch.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    You shouldn't take the top off during hatching. I use little plastic containers to put the eggs in before a hatch to keep them separate. I put lots of air holes in them. Any kind of small plastic container that they can't get out of will work - some people use little fruit container baskets. Then I can figure out how to mark them after the hatch.

How close to hatch day are you? If you're still a few days away you can still do that. Otherwise, you'll just have to guess the best you can.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. karenej

Oct 27, 2016
    Northcentral Alabama
    That's a great idea. Too bad I'm already on lockdown. It's day 19. Next time I guess.

4. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    The Lavender Ameraucanas should be pretty easy to tell. Do you have any idea what mixes your EE's and OE's are? That might help as far as color goes to be able to tell them apart.

5. karenej

Oct 27, 2016
    Northcentral Alabama
    They are all from my lavender ameraucana rooster. They are buff orpington or welsummer hens. Not really sure what to expect as far as coloring.

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    When I bred olive eggers who had a welsummer mother, the chicks looked just like welsmmers (and could be sexed at hatch just like a welsummer )if that is any help to you.

7. karenej

Oct 27, 2016
    Northcentral Alabama
    Interesting. I didn't know you could sex welsummers. How do you do that?

8. LLranch

LLranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  9. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Your little Welsummer mixes will probably have some striping on their backs, so that should help with telling those!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by