keeping track of egg sale--good system, anyone?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by me&thegals, Jul 7, 2008.

1. me&thegals

me&thegals Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Hi--I have sales for about 15 dozen per week, probably up to 30 dozen this fall. Unfortunately, some of my customers pay as they go, some pre-pay and some post-pay.

I'd like to let them keep their own systems for payment since they have their own reasons for preferring it this way.

Does anyone have a good way of tracking it all without causing insanity or missing payments? Thanks in advance!

me&thegals

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    excel spreadsheet that you just drop your info onto would be great and easily organized...easy to print out for hardcopy.

3. me&thegals

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, Miss Jayne [​IMG] Does anybody else have methods that work well for them?

4. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I recently started having my customers commit to x dozen per week on a monthly basis and pay in advance. So, someone who wants a dozen eggs a week for the month of July, commits to 4 dozen that month and pays me upfront $16.00. I charge $4./dozen. I only deliver on Fridays and all my custmers are within a 1/2 mile radius.

I don't have as many eggs as you do, and only need 6 customers a week. I was finding that I was spending way too much time and gas $$ to deliver on specific days and track who owed and who had credit. This is easier on all of us (expecially me) and is working well. If someone doesn't want to be on a regular schedule, I have a waiting list. People really want my eggs now that a waiting list has been created, and they have to order in advance. I think a lot of that is perception, but it certainly has encouraged people to make committments.

Hope this helps.
    Anne

1 person likes this.
  5. me&thegals

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    You know, I really like that idea. I'm doing a lot of dinking around keeping track of everybody, and once I get to possibly 30+ dozen per week it's going to be nuts! Plus, at only $2/dozen, it starts to feel silly to spend any time at all keeping track of it all.

Maybe I will toughen up and request a specific system from everyone. Thanks!

6. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I have nothing fancy, I use a note book and right it down. Most of my eggs are sold at my dh's work so when I pack them up for him to take I write it down. I also have a dry erase board that I keep track of if I am in a hurry, then I transfer it over. I also keep track of how many eggs I get each day I keep it simple. I also put the weather down to keep track of how it effects my eggs.

Than at then end of the month I add it all up, I put my feed cost in there also. I sell anywhere from 10 to 15 doz a week. I never have eggs around they go FAST. We eat all the small eggs, we never eat the big ones LOL.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I sell mine from the house and I have a receipt book in the box with the chicken money. At the beginning of each week I flip the page and write "eggs, chicks, layers, sheep, misc" then as someone buys any of the above I just mark a 1 beside it and then at the end of the week I can add everything up. I have gotten a lot of customers lately and sell out of eggs everyday. I have regulars but they come whenever and it's first come first serve around here. I have had sooo many people tell me, "I'll be back. hold so and so for me" and they never show up. It's sold when I have the money in my hand.

8. Emma's Eggs

Emma's Eggs New Egg

Jul 6, 2008
    me&thegals :

Hi--I have sales for about 15 dozen per week, probably up to 30 dozen this fall. Unfortunately, some of my customers pay as they go, some pre-pay and some post-pay.

I'd like to let them keep their own systems for payment since they have their own reasons for preferring it this way.

Does anyone have a good way of tracking it all without causing insanity or missing payments? Thanks in advance!

me&thegals

My daughter has sold the eggs since she was about five years old. We HAD to have a simple system. We also had different customers with a variety of payment plans/systems like you do.

We use index cards to record payments (and later this gets transfered to the excel spreadsheet). If a particular customer had a (+) or (-) amount due, then they would get their own index card or post it note. When the IOU was paid, then that card was discarded. If they were working down a "credit", then we simply did the math on their index card and my daughter would let them know their credit balance each delivery.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you need any clarification of my rambling.

Jacci​

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

How about the spreadsheet mentioned in this thread?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by