Keeping track of peachick growth photos?

new 2 pfowl

Crowing
Jan 13, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
Hello peapeople,
The recent question about peachicks being m or f reminded me:

Perhaps it's my imagination?
But didn't someone start a thread before that was for everyone to contribute photos documenting chicks as they grow, in order to help ID colors and tell if the chicks are M or F?
I can't seem to find the thread (if it exists).
But now (chick-growing-time) would be a good time to revive the thread and contribute photos, right?
It would be good to have peachick photos all in one place for people with questions about color/sex/age.

*edited to add:
OK, I found one thread about colors:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-of-your-chicks-with-their-colors-identified
Perhaps it could be added to?

*edited again!!!:
There is info scattered through the threads, maybe we could make a sticky "growth chart"?

Last edited:
I think that was Randy, FBC, I think he just mentioned in a different thread that he'd like to do that, but didn't have a designated thread for it. I would like to see it followed through, though, too!

Only issue is sexing young peachicks. It would be excellent for pics of both sexes be photo'd,,some colors are sex linked,,which is easy at hatch time,,others takes longer,,I could really get into taking pics of all 4 seperate colors of my black shouldered chicks,,,,Purple,Midnight,Opal and Silver Pieds,,,I'm 99% positive I can sex them at 3-4 weeks,,but then we get into the all blue or all black colored feathers that comes in,,and now I'm completely lost here,,because mine looks so very diffrent,,,I must have a new mutation thriving here??? LOL. If a "Sticky" could be started,then divided up into each color and pattern,,I'm sure it would be easier than searching others websites only to get a few pics.

Just to make this interesting I just took 2 pics of 2 completely diffrent peachciks hatched 4 days ag:hmmne is 100% India Blue,,,the other chick can be a guessing game.You tell me which 1 of these is the 100% IB chick,,and when I disclose what the second peachick is,and who it's parents really are you may be amazed.Here is the first picture of both taken of their backs.

I did NOT change the placement of the chicks when I took the front pics.In the top pic compared to the bottom two pics I just turned both chicks around and they stayed on the same side of my hand.Now you please guess which one is the IB,and which is the mystery chick.Feel free to make an educated guess what the mystery chick is out of and which one is the IB..

Last edited:
Just to make this interesting I just took 2 pics of 2 completely diffrent peachciks hatched 4 days ag:hmmne is 100% India Blue,,,the other chick can be a guessing game.You tell me which 1 of these is the 100% IB chick,,and when I disclose what the second peachick is,and who it's parents really are you may be amazed.Here is the first picture of both taken of their backs.

I did NOT change the placement of the chicks when I took the front pics.In the top pic compared to the bottom two pics I just turned both chicks around and they stayed on the same side of my hand.Now you please guess which one is the IB,and which is the mystery chick.Feel free to make an educated guess what the mystery chick is out of and which one is the IB..
in the last picture. the chick on the left side (towards your palm) is the IB?
but i dont have a guess on the other. im guessing its a rareer color?

Hmmm...I think the guy on the left is IB but the guy on the right looks too light...I'm not even going to guess, sorry!

FBC, that was exactly what I was thinking, a sticky thread for each color/pattern with pictures and as much information about age/sex as possible.
I would be happy to work on something like this if someone tells me how.
Shouldn't the threads be in the sticky index?
Do I need to contact an administrator to do this?

Okay,it's been another day now,,and I came home to 6 new out of the shell peachiks,,,(wheres the Reggae Red vino?) Okay,,,the first picture,,the peachick on the right is the 100% IB,,,or closest to my fingertips,,next two pictures the IB peachick is still towards the tips of my fingers.Now the mystery chick,,,it's the first one I've hatched from my Charcoal Dark pied w/e male this year.He is with 3 Black Shoulder split to Charcoal hens all purchased from Brad Legg.Since IB color is dominate,,guess it really comes thru in this chick.I guess it would be described as an IB split to Charcoal dark pied w/e,and split to black shoulder.it really has a genetic toolbox full of combinations,,I'm disappointed it looks like a straight IB,,,but I know what potential genetically it has hidden.I've only had 3 eggs from my charcoal male develope this year so far,,1 never pipped and the other quit before breaking the airsack,,but I still have 3 more all developing in the bator now,,and that will be all I will get this year from my Charcoal male,,,hopefully next year we burn the bator up with charcoals.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom