1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Keeping ur 1st egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sexybit, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Sexybit

Sexybit In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Last Sunday, my Shirley girl laid our first egg!!! There was NOOOO way I was going to let anyone crack it open to eat!!! This is what I did to preserve it to enjoy for years to come. I made 2 pin holes in the opposite ends of the egg. The one at the top of the egg I made slightly smaller so it wasn't as noticable. I then gave the egg a good hard shake and blew out the yolk and whites. It took alittle "blowing" but it all finally did come out. I scrambled the egg so my husband could enjoy our first egg and I now have the shell displayed in an egg cup on a shelf in my hutch!! [​IMG]

2. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Songster

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Congratulations on your first egg!! Mine came 2 weeks ago and I tried to do the same thing, only mine broke when the egg expelled [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  3. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Songster

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I used to save all my first eggs....but after several years, that adds up...so I just started saving 1st types...quail, goose, pheasant, different breeds or colors.

4. hcppam

hcppam Songster

I'll have to try that...If I ever get any? [​IMG]

5. kaybats

kaybats Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    I wanted to preserve mine, too, but was afraid I'd be setting myself up for heartbreak should it break. So I took a bunch of pictures instead with 2 different cell phone cameras and a canon power shot.

Then on Friday, when I had 4 altogether, my friend and I enjoyed the best breakfast ever! [​IMG]

I'm so happy yours worked out for you! [​IMG]

6. AuntieE

AuntieE Chirping

Mar 11, 2011
    Philipsburg, PA
    That's a fun idea! I just got my first egg yesterday. [​IMG]

Whoever laid it decided to take the hay out of the nest box and lay it directly on plywood. So unfortunately, it had some small cracks and I didn't feel comfortable eating it. Too bad, because it was a double yolk [​IMG]

Maybe I'll have to try saving my next one. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  7. I photographed mine ( in the spot it was laid, and beside other objects to show size, as well as in a cute little basket...no, I wasn't nuts!) and blew and saved the shell. I also dated it, as I do all my eggs. Born-on dating!
    Enjoy those first eggs! While every egg is a miracle and it never grows old to find them, those first ones are the greatest in the world. Both in finding, and in eating!
    I ate mine plain, scrambled, dash of salt and pepper. Delish! Best egg ever!!!
    September 23, 2010
    [​IMG]

8. chezpoulet

chezpoulet In the Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Redmond WA
    My 10 yo asked to save our first eggs, so we decorated them Pysanky style.

[​IMG]

9. CountryBumpkin2011

CountryBumpkin2011 In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    What a fantastic idea, especially with children! I will totally have to try this [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by