1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping warm during the cold seasons.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickyMomm, Oct 9, 2013.

1. ChickyMomm

ChickyMomm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Afternoon, or morning [​IMG] !
    I live in Massachusetts, and it's Autum now. This is my first winter with chickens, so I wanted as many useful tips as I can get before it's freezing!
    The coop is fairly small (Roughly 4ft/5t, and is 3ft tall) , and is plentiful with pine shaving bedding. I heard that straw bedding is good for cold weather? We also have a 60 WAT light bulb, and I know it isn't warm enough, so I wanted to know what kind of bulb is better. And if you have anymore tips then feel free to share! [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

5. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    [​IMG] You do not mention how many chickens are in the small coop or if they are bantams or large breeds. I would not put a light in there do to being so close to bedding. If bedding is six inches or better deep it will cause enough heat. Mixing it with straw will be good. Chickens can take the cold but not the moisture so make sure they have enough ventilation so it does Not build up in coop. If it does you will get frost bite, even if there is a lamp in there. Many people have there chickens out in snow and in very cold weather. Coops prevent draft but not air flow. Mine are open under the roof with cracks around door so I get some air movement upward. I have yet to have frostbite even in below 0 weather. If you wish to see my coop or my chickens in the snow check my chickens blog in my sig. You will have to go back to first and second year on it. I have been writing it for 5 years now.

You will want to add scratch to feed to help them put some weight on. This will help them. I would up protein in layer for a month or two so they grow better feathers for insulation. It will also help with egg laying in the cold months too. If coop is exposed on all side you might want to put some straw bales around outside where you winds come from the most in winter. That will give some wind breaks and insulation from biting cold.

Oh BTW if you have more birds than the coop can handle or if you lock them up for more than a day. You will need to get in there and turn the bedding. This will keep it fresher and help it compost and create heat for the coop. This is why we use so much in winter it is call the deep bedding method. Works great for preventing frost bite.

6. ChickyMomm

ChickyMomm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Wow! Thanks for all that... In a month or so I was planning on getting the straw, because it gets cold really fast here.. It's summer one month.. Fall for about a week, then it gets freezing.. I'm gonna have to work quick! Thank you!

7. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    [​IMG] Hello!

8. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Yep, the thread sumi posted covers it all. Lots of reading though. :D

Welcome to BYC!

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you don't want overcrowding in winter - because of inclement weather the chickens may not want to venture out of the coop. Too many days inside with too many chickens ends up badly, a lot of feather picking, fighting and at extreme cannibalism.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by