1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    its starting to become winter around hear amd i want my birds to be warm. im building them a new coop so for the moment they all have to be together and their temperary coop isn't insulated. dose anyone know of a heated perch or a pad that they can sit on that won't light the straw on fire?

2. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Did you search? From what I've seen, most do not heat. I do not, nor will I. Touchy subject though.
    where do you live.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Breeds that are winter hardy can tolerate temps down below zero if they're in a draft free shelter, as long as they're fully feathered out and otherwise healthy. But to answer your question, a small everyday (human type) heating pad under the bedding or taped/wired around a roost sounds about as safe as you could get... I know some people put them in dog houses...

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm in Ohio and I don't heat. I gave them a wide enough perch that they can cover their feet easily. I did see that one person stuffed reguarl (old style) christmas lights into a pvc pipe and that it warmed up the pipe a bit for the birds.

5. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    i'll have to try something like that. i'm mostly worried about my banny though. shes more suseptable to the cold. in fact, last year that was how one of my bantoms died so i'm really cautious with them.

6. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Here is a great link for heating roosts. This is for peafowl but I am sure it will work for chickens too. I have not tried this, but it looks safe.

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/26/

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't heat my roosts either. My brother doesn't either.

[​IMG]

8. I just changed over my roosts to 2x4's on the wide side up so it forces them to cover their feet this year. Never really had a problem though. I dont heat

9. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    This is a worry of mine also. I've heard that as long as the coop in not drafty then you are ok..But the coop has to be vented,right? My coop is built like a real house, with vented vinyl soffits and gable vents..so I'm guessing it gets pretty drafty..Should I block off the vented vinyl soffit and just leave the gable vent's or vise versa? I am very confused about this subject..
    (And to the original poster, 'I apologize for jumping on your post:( thank you<<craig

10. fayeoli

fayeoli Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2011
    East Yorks, England
    I bought a pet snuggle pad, which you put in the microwave for a few minutes and it stays warm for a several hours. I will wait until it gets very icy before I use it as I don't want to make my hens too soft. I have 3 Orpingtons which should be fine but my 2 Polish seem to feel the cold. These pads are safe because they don't need any electricity or have any wires attached, and are very tough and non toxic, so I will put it under the bedding just to take the chill off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by