keeping water clean

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hipchickmom, May 17, 2011.

1. hipchickmom

hipchickmom New Egg

May 17, 2011
    I am so sick of having to change the water 4x a day!!!I have six 4 week old chicks in a good size brooder and the water is always dirty, filled with wood chips and poop. Any ideas on how to keep it clean.

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I put mine up on a block of wood or something else to get it above the shavings. An inverted funnel placed on top keeps the babies from getting on the waterer and pooping down into it.

Matt

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    put it on top of something, like a brick or an upside down bowl. it will help out alot! [​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Find a way to hang it up. Far enough up that they can still drink but cannot roost upon, flirt chips into nor poop in. If they still get it dirty from the food on their beaks, so what? That won't hurt them a bit. These are birds that will eat their own feces...I wouldn't worry too awful much about the state of their water. Once a day rinsing and filling should suffice. [​IMG]

5. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    I use nipple waterers. You can find them on eBay, and with a simple installation, you will be good to go! No more poopy water!

6. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Nipple waterers are the best!!

7. kcwazzu

kcwazzu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    Quote:Most definitely, no more poopy water:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by