Keeping water cold in the brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SJchickens, Mar 25, 2015.

1. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Every night, I give my 6 baby chicks fresh, cold water. Every morning, I wake up to it warmed from the heat lamp. Is this ok for them? Do they mind? I certainly wouldn't want to drink warm water, but I can't find any easy way to keep it cool overnight. Also, I definitely don't want to go through the trouble if they don't mind it :).

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. pmcont3

pmcont3 Out Of The Brooder

Is your brooder large enough to move your water away from your heat source?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree it sounds like your brooder is small. You should have enough space the food and water is totally at ambient temp. Two cardboard boxes taped together with a chick door cut between them works well. Heat lamp in one side, food and water in the other.

4. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY

Thanks for the replies. I have two large plastic totes that sit next to each other and share the heating lamp. I have 4 wyandottes in one, and two Cochins in the other. They are not integrating well, so they had to be separated. I don't have any more room for another box. I moved the waterer to the very corner of the tote. Hoping that's good enough :(.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I wouldn't worry about it. I would rather they drink warm water. Cold water could potentially drop their body temp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by