Keeping water cold in the heat!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rdranch, Aug 3, 2008.

1. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    I've been putting two 1/2gallon plastic juice bottles of ice in the 3 gallon metal water fount that is outside in the run. It will keep the water cool to cold during the worst of the heat(over 100 degreees). I put only one in the fount that is in the coop as it is in the shade. They stay pretty clean and only need a quick rinse and light sanitization before they go back in he freezer for the next day. We've been having a record dry and hot summer here in eastern Colorado and it seems to be helping a great deal.

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Relief is coming, I read that it is supposed to be in the 80's this week and might even get into the 70's the week after! I hope thats true....[​IMG]

3. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    me too!

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I made some bags with my foodsaver, filled with water and sealed them - freeze and use as BIG ice blocks.

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Wildsky, what a great idea! I have a FoodSaver/bags and will do up some of these tomorrow for this week's horrible heat. Monday's heat index is supposed to be between 105-110. [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Welcome to my world y'all.

As a common bumper sticker around here states, "I'm not afraid of going He!!, I'm from Phoenix!"

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Make a few different sizes, sometimes I need em to freeze back up fast and the long skinny ones freeze fast.

Overall they're easier than bottles (I do have juice bottles also freezing) the bottles take up a lot of space! I stand them in front of the fan.

THinking of hanging bags in front of the fan - I have chicken wire around the fan to keep from chopping up beaks and tails.... I could hang ice bags from that I think... Hmmmmmmmmmm

We're cooling off now, the last few days were HORRIBLE!

8. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:I'm with you........Friday about 1 pm, channel 15 news said Sky Harbor was 111. It was 119 here at my house in the Verde Valley. Yesterday, it was 113 at 12:30.

I also keep frozen bottles in the waterers as well as frozen 2 liter and gallon jugs in the hen house to help in there.

9. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Will do. I want to also do some that'll fit inside the waterers and hopefully cool it off where I won't have to keep refilling every couple of hours during the day. I use a LG 3 gallon waterer inside the coop and then have a bucket with lid that hangs on the outside and feeds water to a fount bottom. The bags shouldn't take up as much space and I know switching out the bags will be lots easier than dumping the bucket and waterer so much.
    Water bill for July was 118.00!! [​IMG]

Mahonri, does it matter that ours is humid heat and not arrid heat? [​IMG] It's already 87 before 9am here and everything is sweating! LOL

10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I went and bought some freezer storage containers and was filling them with water and freezing them up. I have not done it for a few days, and really need to. Will do it today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by