1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Keeping water from freezing

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicabee19, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Is there anything that can be added to a bucket of water to keep it from freezing that is safe for chickens to consume?

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Heat. LOL

3. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Simply put - No.
    There is no digestible, safe chemical that will prevent the freezing of water.

A heat source is in order

4. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

There are different water heaters on the market that keep the water ice free...search on BYC and I am sure you will find a few [​IMG]

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I know about all the various water heaters... I was just wondering.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Not if you want any meaningful amount of frost protection. A safe amount of sugar or whatever might give you a tenth of a degree Farenheit but that is not really relevant [​IMG]

Physics isn't always the way we'd prefer it to be [​IMG]

Pat

7. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Heat!!! [​IMG]

Too funny!

I wish something were invented, some kind of jiggly ball or something that kept the water moving or warm etc!

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Below about 30F nope. You might be able to add enough of something to avoid that skim of ice on the top when the temps are right at freezing but that would be pointless and not useful for most. Pointing a heat lamp at it or getting some type of heated water is about it. Even if you get an automatic waterer or fountain that moves the water around it will eventually freeze. You have to move too much water to keep it all unfrozen. Our automatic horse waterers still have to have some heat to them despite the fact the water cycles every 30-60mins depending how often the horses drink.

9. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought a heated dog water bowl from Wal Mart.

10. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Quote:I just bought one from TSC. Does yurs work well?
    I was wondering if I can have DH taake the heating unit off the bowl and put it on my regular waterer....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by