keeping water from freezing

daddy_roo

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
Kentucky
Im sure this has been talked about before, but is there anything you can add to water to keep it from freezing that will not harm the chickens? i was wondering this in an attempt to not use a water warming device. not that im anti water warmer they are just expencive.

You can get a heated dog bowl from Wal-Mart or somewhere like that for about $12-$15.00. They go up in price to about $30., but the 12 dollar one works fine for my 12 hens. (We have 2 dog bowls).

Type "cookie tin water heater" into the search box here and it will pull up past discussions and directions. If it doesn't I can tell you how. Very cheap and easy.

Funny, I was just thinking about this earlier in the day. I do not have power to my coop and cannot (code), so I will be hauling water. I'm resigned to that, but it doesn't stop me from wondering if there is another way.

Fred's Hens is right. Something like salt, while able to lower the freezing temperature of water, is not good for chickens. While it's conceivable that some vitamins could manage the trick just as well, there would have to be what is likely a lethal dose dissolved in the water to avoid freezing. Another choice would be alcohol, but I don't want drunk, cold chickens (plus, again, the amounts required would be high). Antifreeze is toxic, so that's a no-no too.

I'll be thinking about this over the winter, no doubt.

im kinda in the same boat as you with not having power to my coop. My MIL decided to go ahead and geta water heater. That is fine, but we literally ran an extention cord to the coop to provide "power". Working well so far. But as far as adding salt to the water, would sea salt have the same effect? I mean suposedly its better for humans or am I just some crazy hopeful?

I've been thinking about this a lot too - while I have electricity available, what about when the power goes out? I am always looking for non-electrical solutions for winter issues as our power is less than reliable all too often. I keep coming back to the solar space heaters/soda pop can solar heaters and wondering if you could funnel the warm air towards the waterers and thus keep the water thawed during the daytime. I'll be watching for more ideas on this thread!

Back
Top Bottom