Keeping water outside in covered run

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jdoane, Dec 15, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    I keep my water out in the run so I am not adding additional moisture to the coop. Now that winter has hit in western Massachusetts, I am using a heated dog bowl and refilling during the day as needed. It's been working well. Last night we got our first big snow. The Ladies still came out. But I was wondering if some of the more cautious birds who like to be inside more will come out to get water enough? I really don't want to move water inside. What do you think?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    unless its something new and they dont know where the water is i wouldnt worry, if they get thirsty enough they will drink

3. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Ok Good. Nothing new. Exactly where it's been for months. And switched from the fount to the heated water bowl several weeks ago so they would get used to it. No problems.

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    they will be fine. they may not drink as much but they will get what they need. you know, run out there and fill up because you dont want to go out again in ten min. they know.

5. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Mine only have food and water outside the coop. They don't come out much on the really terrible days but they've never seemed to suffer from it. :)

6. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    They have heated water and food in the covered run. If they want a drink or to eat they know where it's at. I'm their Keeper not their Waiter. [​IMG]

7. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    LOL. That will be my new motto. Hopefully it works for my chickens. Doesn't work for my kids! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by