Keeping Wild birds out of run/coop...We did it!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MommyToThree, Sep 7, 2010.

1. MommyToThree

MommyToThree Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Yakima, WA
    Well, I have almost 100% stoped the little bird from getting into the coop and run! We used bird netting and ziptied it to the wire. I found the netting at my co-op but it is online also. We had to make sure there were no gaps and put boards around the bottom so they could not sneek under it. I have only had two little buggers sneak in after this was put up!! It was under $50 to do, would be a little more if we had not already had the boards we put abound the bottom. Hope this helps someone, good luck.

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Good for you! One less thing to worry about. I did a similar thing and put up hardware cloth on the exposed 1" X 2" welded wire. I thought for sure when I built my coop that the wire would keep them out. Imagine my dismay to see them pass straight through that. I wanted to use the bird netting to cover the original wire with, but it acted like some weird desert gill net for lizards (we have an inordinate number of lizards [​IMG]). No problems so far with the improvements. Of course, I had to remove the food from the coop because they (sparrows) could still get through the curtain I made over the pop door.

3. Lifestyle Lift Journey

Lifestyle Lift Journey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Zip tied net hey? Good idea!! I guess it's easy to unzip too if you need to.
    Those little birds are smart (in a bad way in this case) but you surely win this time! Good job! [​IMG]

4. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Good call

5. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i bought fruit tree netting for $5.oo and a small bad of zip ties for $2.00. no need to buy expensive netting. even keeps the squirrels out

6. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    We have an all you can eat Buffet - they even line up in the morning along the fence waiting for this daft woman to put breakfast out for them?
    Ahhhhhhhhhh [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

We have sooooooooooo many wild birds including seagulls and crows! My chickens don;t seem to know how to chase these guys away they just sit and watch their food disapear? - We put up more netting and wind chims and they still get in. They seem to like LAyers - maybe thats why there are sooooooooooooooo many of the darn creatures!!!!!!! They are eating the layers and laying loads of darn eggs and now we have loads of darn chicks eating the layers! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oesdog

7. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

I learned that if one feeds in the coop you will have fewer wild birds feasting at your feeder.
    Bird netting catches snakes too, if put on the ground. Good stuff!!!! I love multi purpose materials. [​IMG]

8. MommyToThree

MommyToThree Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Yakima, WA
    Can you get a shot gun and shot some? I would, I mean I would have my husband and or son do it.
    Quote:

9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:
    Sadly no - I am way too soft hearted to do that! I even have half a pot belly stove chimeny because one got stuck in it and we tried to save it? Yeah crazy. Like chicken love!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by