Keeping Wood Ducks in NJ

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by Chrleone28, Dec 20, 2016.

  1. Chrleone28

    Chrleone28 Out Of The Brooder

    Oct 15, 2012
    Galloway, NJ
    Can anyone shed some light on what the requirements are for legally bringing wood ducks into the state of NJ besides the fact that they must come from an NPIP facility with proof? Or does anyone know of any wood duck breeders already within the state?

    Any help is appreciated.


  2. Tony K T

    Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

    Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Your best bet is to check with your local fish and game.Here in N.H. you are required to have a permit for them.Each state has their own set of requirements and if you ask people they may leave something out and then the state warden shows up and takes your birds away and leaves you with a court date.Always best to ask stae warden for the requirements and then get info from others that own them.
    In N.H.,Tony.

    PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 6, 2016
    Tony K T is correct. It's best to contact your state USFW agency, DNR or etc for all the current rules and regulations.

    A reputable breeder (USFW permittee) will supply you with a Federal Waterfowl Sale and Disposal form. A completed Form 3-186, Notice of Waterfowl Transfer or Sale, providing all information required by the form and method or methods by which individual birds are marked.

    You may wish to check with your state agency--USFW, DNR or etc to see if you are required to first possess a state permit to legally own &/or propagate wood ducks. You may also wish to inquire if you need to obtain an "importation" permit to have birds shipped in to New Jersey. Some states, like Tennessee, require a buyer to purchase an "importation permit" prior to having birds shipped from outside the state lines.

    It's better to ask beforehand as, in our experience, they are not lenient of people that are not aware of all the laws pertaining to legally possessing migratory waterfowl. If you plan to raise wood ducks for sale, trade, barter or give away, you will be required to become a USFW permittee (and state permittee, if required in NJ) and provide the necessary paperwork with any birds you transfer.

    Hope this helps. Good luck.
  4. HappyAcresFarm

    HappyAcresFarm Out Of The Brooder

    Jul 7, 2015
    Monmouth County NJ
    No permit required to keep em in NJ as of last year but they need to be banded and you must be able to prove they were captive bred from a licensed facility.. We got 2 pairs shipped from a member in upstate NY last summer.. pm me if you'd like I can get you his contact info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by