Keeping Your Breed Pure...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by saboyd, Dec 29, 2008.

1. saboyd

saboyd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    I saw a post on this somewhere, but I could not find it again…

I have four separate breeds of chickens right now. RIR’s, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpington’s, and Silver Laced Wyandotte’s. I have two hens and one rooster of each breed.

They are all in the same pen and get along well, however, my plan is to build a larger pen where I can separate them by breeds and not allow them to intermingle and “intermarry.” [​IMG]

Here comes the question… how long will I have to have them separated before they won’t be laying eggs that are cross bred?

Any input would be greatly appreciated…

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    2-3 weeks should be fine. But, a month to be on the safe side.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I would wait at least a month, then start gathering eggs from them to hatch.

meri

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I am going to do the same thing, and I will be waiting a month. I solved this future problem now by segregating the chicks I got a month and a half ago into their own brooders.

We are building new coops that will house them. I thought I would have a problem with free ranging, and was trying to come up with a schedule, lol.

Then I realized, I can let the hens out, and keep the roos in. Voila!

But now I have to figure out how to keep them safe, without the roos. [​IMG]

Cheri, who may need to go back to recess schedules.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I seperate mine about a month before I start incubating eggs.

6. saboyd

saboyd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Thanks so much for the quick and positive responses. I had heard conflicting reports and I just wanted to make sure. This is a well-spring of knowledge and information and I am honored to be apart of such an awesome group!

Again...thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by