Keeping Your Coop Water From Freezing

Artanis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
McDonald, PA
There is a lot of discussion on here on how to keep your water from freezing. I came up with this solution and installed it last night. I purchased a flat panel radiant heater from amazon.com for around $50. It is made to keep your feet warm under a desk and does not get super hot. As a matter of fact, some of the bad ratings that it received were that it doesn't get hot enough. Bad for keeping your feet warm but good for the coop! I mounted it on the wall with the brackets that came with it to stand it upright on the floor.

Had to make a few modifications (drill some holes) in the brackets to mount them but it works great. It hasn't been tested in sub zero temps yet but I'll let you know. The plastic waterer does not touch it directly. As a side benefit, it does raise the temperature of the coop a few degrees. I have on order a Thermo Cube so the panel won't be on 24/7 when it gets warmer. The Thermo Cube will turn the panel on when the ambient temperature reaches 35 degrees and off at 45. These are also available on amazon for about $11.00 plus shipping. Not a super cheap solution but seems to be effective. I know they make a plastic waterer that plugs in but it gets bad reviews and I don't like to mess with plugs with wet hands. Hope this helps!

37792_coop_water_heater1.jpg

37792_coop_water_heater2.jpg

My chickens like to jump, stand on and poop in pet bowls and they don't hold much water.

I did consider the light bulb in the concrete block but not the safest solution. It's a fire hazard and any water splashed on it would shatter it.

thumbsup.gif
It looks great! - I plan to use two radiant heaters in my coop, both for some warmth and to keep the waterers from freezing. Was it hard to get the cords up out of the way? And how did you rig your electricity? Just wondering so I can plan mine out. Be sure to let us know how well it works through the winter. The pics are great!!

2ndtimearound. Since you were so nice, I braved the cold and snow and went out to take this picture. I installed this additional outlet last week for my coopcam and just plugged the heat panel into that. The coopcam is great. Can access from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.

37792_coopcam.jpg

I have a large heated water bowl that is just about an inch wider all around than my waterer and has the heating elements in the base of the bowl. I turn it upside down and put the waterer on top of that. It kept water from freezing all last year, even in 5 degree weather.

I also hang a 25 watt red light bulb (inside a steel heat lamp cage) above the water in the top of the coop which goes on at dusk and stays on for about 6 hours each night. It doesn't keep the water from freezing, but it does warm up the coop a bit and keeps the girls laying fairly regularly in the winter.

This year I am also going to try a new heat strategy for the coop:
My mom has horses and has been very loosely filling her old shavings bags with manure and tying closed. She is a civil engineer with a specialty in waste management, and knows just the right amount of air to leave so the manure stays aerobic and decomposes all winter -- making heat!! I am going to pack some bags under my coop which is a foot off the ground to help keep it warm
smile.png
You could do the same thing with any animal poop or compost (but don't use dog or cat poop in the garden in the spring!)

Back
Top Bottom