Keeping your Pekins healthy

CHlCKEN

Addict
Jun 21, 2020
Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
I have One Cayuga, One Pekin, One Ancona, and One Swedish coming in 12 days and I’ve heard that Pekins are very prone to health problems. I want to keep mine as healthy and happy as possible, so I’m curious if there are any ways I should go about caring for my Pekin duck.

I have kept a pair of Pekins before but neither lived past two years, so I never had to deal with anything like that.

I feel that optimal nutrition, lots of soft surfaces, a natural daylight schedule (no lightbulbs), and regular clean bathing water are good for pekin health.

Pekins usually have a problem with taking in enough niacin, even if your duckling feed should be enough, I would also feed a niacin supplement of some sort. Niacin is water soluble, so don’t worry about feeding to much, any extra will naturally be removed from the body.

i have two pekin boys who just turned two and they have overall been healthy but have both had issues with bumblefoot because of how heavy they are even when just walking

Pekins usually have a problem with taking in enough niacin, even if your duckling feed should be enough, I would also feed a niacin supplement of some sort. Niacin is water soluble, so don’t worry about feeding to much, any extra will naturally be removed from the body.
Why do they have trouble?

What do you mean by soft surfaces?
My pekin has had a lot of foot issues and my avian veterinarian has recommended grass outside, 4-6 inches of clean regularly fluffed straw inside the barn (or coop), and several layers of towels when she is inside. She told me to avoid all boards, gravel, and rocks. Following the recommendations has helped a lot, and even solved our problems when she was younger.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with an unwell pekin. I've just spent the last several years devoting myself to keeping one alive. She's 7 now and I feel we've gone through everything.

My avian veterinarian has also told me that "food production animals, bred for meat or eggs, often have issues because of growing too quickly or overactive reproductive systems." Their bodies don't care if we love them like pets or not. Sad, but true.

Back
Top Bottom