Keets care

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by mountaintopfarm, Jun 22, 2016.

1. mountaintopfarm

mountaintopfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2016
    How long do they need to be in a brooder for?
    How many weeks until they feather out?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I move mine to an outdoor brooder at 2-3 days. If your don't keep them too warm they feather fast. Mine are usually fully feathered by 3 weeks. Are you integrating them with a flock?

3. mountaintopfarm

Feb 2, 2016
    We have 2 pearls that are a few weeks old and in their own coop outside. I wanted to get some royal purple and lavender to add to them. Ultimately they will be free range with night coop if they will come in at night. Just didn't know if I got week old keets if they'd need a brooder with heat lamp for several weeks like chicks.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yes, they probably will still need heat. If you have power out there you could brood them out in the coop separated so they can start interacting with the older ones. I recommend a heating pad rather than heat lamp though, because of fire risk. The ones that I have outside right now were hatched 6/13 and when I check on them the majority are not even using the pad so it depends on the temp there and the temp in the coop. Its mainly been in the 60s here at night and I have 24 keets and chicks in their own 2.5x6 foot brooder coop. They sleep in little groups but not huddled like they are cold. The sooner you can mingle them, though, the better.

5. mountaintopfarm

Feb 2, 2016
    Thanks I wanted to put all them together right away. I do have electric down there. We purposely put chicken run in between garden and horse electric fencing so they were more protected. I also have a plastic storage tote filled w hay on it's side in the coop- maybe I'll stick heating pad under it for them to lay on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by