Keets going on 2 weeks old

Mistahbue

Songster
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Brook Park, Minnesota
Good morning - it's me again - new keet Mom with another round of questions.

As these babies are growing it seems obvious to me that I've got some keets that might be several days older than others - simply due to size. Of these larger ones several are spreading their wings and practicing springing off the heads/backs of others - or it seems that way - LOL

I still have them in large printer boxes for the time being.

I worry about moving them outside into a suitable caging since they are still so young - however am more worried that they may be doing damage trying to fly and bouncing, more or less, off the side walls of these boxes.

Thoughts?

I know cleaning the boxes is going to be interesting this week!!!!

idunno.gif

I usually move mine out to the brooder in the barn at two weeks old because they need more space and to be able to try out their wings. But they still need a heat lamp for 3 to 4 more weeks.
smile.png

Thanks -- looks like I know what my afternoon chore list will be this week -- get that brooder ready!!!!

I've got 1/4 hardware cloth, and figured for their little feet I would put fiberglass screening on top of the bottom screen so those legs don't fall through. Also got some additional chicken wire - small opening size for in case I need that. I'm wire poor. LOL thankfully had the wood already.

Any suggestions on height for them - actual enclosure? We've been looking online but there are so many options out there.

I just dread them 'leaving' the house. Maybe figure out some way to rig up a poop catcher on my back deck so they will be closer. I can put them in the pole barn - have electric out there so heat lamps not an issue. I just find myself checking on them during the night anytime I get up.

Signed
Crazy Keet Momma
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom