Keets Hatching. Need advice!

fowlisfairfarms

Hatching
Oct 26, 2015
Loxahatchee, Fl
I need Guinea hatching advice! I have a mamma guinea who has been dutifully nesting and they are starting to hatch!! I've always read that they are not good mammas and to take the keets away. When I went out this morning to the nest to check her, she tried to take my head off. lol, They started hatching overnight. So when do I gather the keets? After all have hatched or as they hatch? Also, I'm prepared to put them in a box with a heat lamp, etc. But since it is so warm out (South Florida, lows in the upper 60s and highs upper 80s), could I put them all (including mamma) in contained area in the coop? Thanks for any advice.

I need Guinea hatching advice! I have a mamma guinea who has been dutifully nesting and they are starting to hatch!! I've always read that they are not good mammas and to take the keets away. When I went out this morning to the nest to check her, she tried to take my head off. lol, They started hatching overnight. So when do I gather the keets? After all have hatched or as they hatch? Also, I'm prepared to put them in a box with a heat lamp, etc. But since it is so warm out (South Florida, lows in the upper 60s and highs upper 80s), could I put them all (including mamma) in contained area in the coop? Thanks for any advice.

If you have an area where the hen and keets can be kept separate from the general population that should work good. She sounds like a dedicated mother and it would be nice to give her a chance to raise them. It isn't that guineas try to be bad parents but that in an unrestrained area they can get the keets wet and lost while meandering around. Normally if given the opportunity to raise the keets in an isolated protected area where they can't get lost or wet, they can be very good parents.

I have a chicken and a guinea sitting on mixed eggs. (5 weeks) I thought it was a chicken chick but now think its a keet that hatched is about 2 days old. I took it from mom guinea since the nest box is high above the coop floor and have no way to isolate from the others in the large coop. I also have had snakes get into the coop and eat eggs. The egg shell under guinea appeared to be a chicken egg. I now have lone keet/chick in box under a brooder light in the house. (I had six chicks that when to a friends to allow for space for this one. (they are 2 weeks older. Am I right in bringing the chick inside the house?

Back
Top Bottom