keets here! When can you take out of the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joyous, Jun 17, 2010.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    I put 20 viable eggs on lock down on day 23, yesterday 16 out of 20 hatched!! Of the four left, one has pipped all around and has been working at hatching since yesterday afternoon, I don't see movement this am though. The other three don't look pipped yet. My question is, will I risk the four left if I take the 16 out of the brooder? If it is safe to open the inci, should I try to help the one pipped? And if I should not open the inci until they are all done, how long do I wait until I give up???? Thanks!

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    If you open the inc. and quickly take them all out, that will be fine. About the one that pipped. It's really never a good idea to help... BUT - has it unzipped all around just still working on it? Do you see any bursts of energy? Sometimes they will sit idle for a long time and then start working again. I wouldn't help if it is mostly in the shell. The one time I did help a chick it ended badly.

The good new is that you've had a good hatch.... So today is day 24? If it were me, I'd get everybody out and clean up the shells and then wait on the other 4 - including the pipped one. Give them until day 26. Good luck to you.

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Personally I would wait to see what the zipped keet does.If you open it and the humidity/temp changes too much I think it can cause the membranes to cling to them and suffocate them.The others should be ok for a bit longer hanging out in there, I am sure the one is just resting since pipping and zipping is some hard work for such a little being.
    Good Luck!

4. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks! I took the hatched keets out and they are doing great in the brooder, there are 3 eggs unhatched yet, and the one that has been working since yesterday, had the shell completely pipped in a circle, and my husband couldn't stand it and helped it out. It seems healthy except the toes on one foot are folded under, kind of like it is walking on its knuckles. Is this called splayed foot? Do I straighten them and splint them? Also, I didn't get the egg shells out when I took out the keets because I was trying to do it so quickly. The incubator smells bad, so do I have a rotten egg in there, or is it the shells? Should I open it again and clean out the shells, or just leave it alone? Today would actually be day 27 by the way.

5. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Yeah,the shells start to smell horrible when left in the heat, like rotting animal smell.So icky! I would go ahead and sneak them out too before any other eggs pip.
    If they dont pip in the next two to three days I would say they are quitters.
    You can splint them with little cut pieces of pipe cleaners and medical tape, go ahead and get it on there so they stay in that position for when the bones harden.

Congrats on your new babies!!!

6. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by