Kefir, Anyone make their own?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by HeatherLynn, Oct 14, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I get it from whole foods when I have to drive near it but sometimes that means not having any for a month. I would like to make my own and I know the kefir grains are easy to get online. How do you make it taste good. I get the lifeway stuff and its flavored. I hate plain yogurt so I cannot imagine enjoying plain kefir. What do you guys do to make it taste good enough that even the kids will drink it.

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Check out MissPrissy's yogurt making thread. I think it has some milk kefir info in it too..[​IMG]

Me I make Water Kefir...Water, sugar, fruit, with the clear kefir grains...[​IMG]

ON

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes I do my own. Add a banana and strawberries or pineapple or Vanilla to make a fruit smoothy.The banana covers the tarty taste.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I usually just buy Lifeway kefir at the local store,but wanted to mention they sell a mix or powder(forget which) at their web page.

http://lifeway.net/

Not sure if it is the grains type stuff,but I do like their kefir.

5. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Yea the only place that I can get to that carries it is an hour away. The commissary on base carries it but I am not military so really only place is super far away.

I would like to have it more often. I will check out the missprissies thread.

6. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I will try to make some of my own kefir if it's that easy!

I buy plain kefir and make a mix that has nothing but vanilla bean and fresh ground cinnamon in it. and another with molasses and ginger and sugar. It is very very well liked. Another real good one is kefir with mango pulp in it, the pulp is so sweet it doesn't need any sugar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by