1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Kelp

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kstaven, Feb 4, 2008.

1. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
  2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Is kelp good for chickens? I have some I used to have to give to my dog who had cancer. If they chickens can benefit form it I'd love to give them some.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    It is a very good suppliment for them. Great source of iodine. Reduces ecoli in dairy animals etc. The site linked in the above posts does give perportions for all sorts of animals.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We tried kelp meal on our chickens for the first time this winter. It was amazing how much weight they gained (except Dazzle, who never eats til all the hens are full...) They seem to be in better condition overall through the winter than in previous years, also.

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    If you need less than 25 lbs, www.hoeggergoatsupply sells it also in smaller quantities; it does last a long time, but you can use it for all your animals and in your garden, too.

6. So what is the purpose of kelp? I know it's a supplement, but what does it supplement nutrient wise exactly?

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Does kelp that is stored properly go bad? I would not think so, but I just found a can of it that I bought & never used. It's about a year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by