KENTUCKY DERBY DAY!

Hotwings

Songster
12 Years
Jan 27, 2007
southwestern Michigan
I justed wanted to give the shoutout that it is another Kentucky Derby Day. I have been a long time watcher and admirer of the Derby and I am quite excited about this years crop entered. The Derby is probably the hardest race ever to handicap and with this years large field (19) it can be even harder. There was 20 (which is the max allowed but I Want Revenge-who by the way was the fave was just scratched). With this large of horses anything can happen. I wouldn't be surprised if a long shot were to win. The horses with the inside post positions can be crushed with horses on the outside rushing to get to the inside. I honestly don't expect a triple crown winner to come out of this bunch. By the time the Preakness comes around over 50% or these horses will be gone. I am afraid horse racing is in its dying stages. I have my picks for the Derby with the little handicapping I could do and these are my faves. They are Papa Clem-I like the name but what I like the most is he is out of Smart Strike (which is the same sire of Curlin), Dunkirk-which is the most costilest horse entered-sold as a yearling for 3.7 million.-I like him cause he is was not raced as a 2 year old and his breeding is impectable. To round out my last choice is a sentimental fave and that is General Quarters. General Qaurters is the feel good horse-owner and trained by one man and he purchased him in a claiming race for $20.000.00 (which is bargain basement prices in horseracing world). General Quarters has done very well too and if he doesn't win he deserves the Seabiscuit Award! I wish everyone in this years derby a save trip and I can hope for a thrilling outcome.

I was an avid fan back in the time of Riva Ridge and then Secretariat.

But I'm afraid I've been out of it for years now.

Nothing like dating myself, eh?
tongue.png

Heh. Derby day means to me:

Skyrocketing gas (Was 1.94 on Monday. Now is 2.15)
Traffic (Dude, I just want to get home. Is that too much to ask?)
My favorite bar is packed (Dude, I just wanna get my drink on. Is that too much to ask?)
Every TV and radio broadcast is about derby. Nothing else.
Crying people at the gas stations on Saturday night, asking for change for the pay phone
More traffic
Road closings
Pegasus pin hawkers
Did I mention traffic?

big_smile.png

Kentucky Derby day is a day for my SIL to be super proud of her job. She works at Taylor Made in Lexington and she actually worked with two of the horses (#5 and #15). We go down and visit her several times a year and we get to pet all the million dollar horses. They are just beautiful

Wooohhoooo!!!!!!!~ Mine That Bird!!!!!! I'd say a long shot!!!! What a happy ending for the Derby, for a change!!!! Awesome!!!!! And an interesting story, also.
Let's hope the luck holds for the Preakness and Belmont.

Not since the year I was born have we had a triple crown winner. I'm keeping my fingers crossed YET AGAIN to see another page recorded of horse race history. Lots of horses have tackled the first two only to meet with failure on the last leg of the journey. Will it be the long shot that pulls of the miraculous endevour? We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom