1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Kentucky lets you raise raccoons?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Moochie, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I was bored so I browsed the web on raccoons. And I found a video where a girl was feeding a baby raccoon milk. She said a dog killed the momma raccoon and her family got one of the babies. In Kentucky!
    You can't do that here unless you're one of those licensed wildlife care takers, which Animal Planet likes to interview and put you on some show. [​IMG]

So uhh.. Kentucky seems like a good place.. I hear Kentucky allows ferrets aswell? If not, then poo. [​IMG] Maybe I should go to Kentucky for a college and learn from the raccoons there!

2. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    its amazing what people keep as pets. when my dad was a kid his friend had a badger as a pet. i have a friend with a pet kangaroo and she would bring it to school so that was always fun. i know people keep skunks and opossums as pets. ferrets are a common pet here in utah. some people just love the odd pets.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    *Redhen is moving to Kentucky..* [​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    My family is from KY. My parents took their pet racoon, Ranger, on their honeymoon with them. Ranger was found in a nest when grampa was cleaning the chimney and my parents raised him. Here's a picture of Mom and Ranger on her honeymoon back in 1975. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh how cute. I had a raccoon when I was little. My dad found it in the middle of the road. It was a baby.

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

My dad had pet racoons

7. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    You are suppose to have a license, but they just don't really crack down on you here. I have had the local police bring me many wayward wildlife to rehabilitate in my time. My Dad was a police officer and I was chock full of animal knowledge. [​IMG]

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I think most states allow ferrets. I know CA doesn't. In Ohio a person has to be licensed to breed raccoons. That is all up in the air now though. The govener has a board working on an exotic animal ban. I'm not sure what animals will be included in the ban. [​IMG]
    Personally I have an opossum and think they are great house pets. He reminds me of a koala bear.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    one of my past pets....yes we can have them here with a permit

[​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't believe it is legal to raise them in KY unless you are a licensed rehabber, but that doesn't stop many people. I know it's not legal in IN, but I, and my brother and sister, raised many a baby raccoon when we were growing up [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by