Kentucky lets you raise raccoons?!

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
I was bored so I browsed the web on raccoons. And I found a video where a girl was feeding a baby raccoon milk. She said a dog killed the momma raccoon and her family got one of the babies. In Kentucky!
You can't do that here unless you're one of those licensed wildlife care takers, which Animal Planet likes to interview and put you on some show.
hmm.png

So uhh.. Kentucky seems like a good place.. I hear Kentucky allows ferrets aswell? If not, then poo.
sad.png
Maybe I should go to Kentucky for a college and learn from the raccoons there!

its amazing what people keep as pets. when my dad was a kid his friend had a badger as a pet. i have a friend with a pet kangaroo and she would bring it to school so that was always fun. i know people keep skunks and opossums as pets. ferrets are a common pet here in utah. some people just love the odd pets.

My family is from KY. My parents took their pet racoon, Ranger, on their honeymoon with them. Ranger was found in a nest when grampa was cleaning the chimney and my parents raised him. Here's a picture of Mom and Ranger on her honeymoon back in 1975.
big_smile.png

7479_ranger_and_mom.jpg

You are suppose to have a license, but they just don't really crack down on you here. I have had the local police bring me many wayward wildlife to rehabilitate in my time. My Dad was a police officer and I was chock full of animal knowledge.
smile.png

I think most states allow ferrets. I know CA doesn't. In Ohio a person has to be licensed to breed raccoons. That is all up in the air now though. The govener has a board working on an exotic animal ban. I'm not sure what animals will be included in the ban.
somad.gif

Personally I have an opossum and think they are great house pets. He reminds me of a koala bear.

I don't believe it is legal to raise them in KY unless you are a licensed rehabber, but that doesn't stop many people. I know it's not legal in IN, but I, and my brother and sister, raised many a baby raccoon when we were growing up
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom