Kentucky Specks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by L&Schickens, Nov 3, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Anyone ever hear of them? I might have the name wrong. A friend of mine has some and I got to see them for the first time tonight. I wanted some so bad!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    FeatherSite doesn't have anything on them. I've never heard of them. They are pretty though.

Edited to add:

The rooster on the roost looks like it has a rose comb (or something close) and the rooster on the floor of the house has a single.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I have heard about Kentucky specks before, dont remember where. They look like a cross to me but they could be a local breed that not many people have anymore kind of like the cotton patch geese.

4. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Right FMP!!
    He said they have been around for 200 years but are not recognized birds as not enought people have them and show them. I like them though.
    Yes, they all have a single comb. [​IMG]

5. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Should I see if I can buy some from him?

6. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    It's official! I will be getting some chicks out of these guys in the spring! [​IMG]
    Anyone else have any info on this American breed?

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I was at my landlord's house today, and he has a gorgeous game rooster running around that looks just like these guys. He said he has a hen too. They're beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by