Kepping roosters (semi) quiet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Animalian, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Hi I have a flock of bantams and am thinking about getting a rooster. The council allows them but we have a... odd relationship with neighbours on one side. I was wondering how people go about keeping their roosters quiet, at least in the morning. I realise all roosters will crow but if there are breeds that have a weaker crow then others I'd love to hear about them. Bantams onyl please [​IMG]

2. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    I have assorted bantie roos here, what I can tell you about them is...
    The Silkie almost never crows, if he does it's mid morning before he gets around to it. (But they can be bad as other people on the board have said)
    The Cochins have quiet, funny little crows. DH didn't even realize what 'the funny noise' was till I told him.
    The Cornish is quite a bit louder but usually sleeps in till around 7am which is nice.
    The young Leghorn that just started is LOUD, he and his 3 brothers will be wearing out their welcome shortly I suspect.

Hope that helps and I'll be interested to see what others say. [​IMG]

3. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    We are going to have to rehome our roo before someone reports us, but for right now, my closest neighbors are elderly and hard of hearing, so I just leave our rooster in the coop until he stops crowing in the morning. Then I let them out. I am hoping that he is not smart enough to figure that out.

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I have to say...out of my D'Uccles,Silkies and Sebrights....the Sebrights crow CONSTANTLY all day long.And....the crow is high pitched and tends to travel farther....

5. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    My Old English Game Bantam is beautiful and his crow is so cute. It's really low and my neighbors only hear it if they are outside and pretty close to the coop. My Sebright rooster is loud and crows at pretty much anything. My OEGB only crows once or twice in the morning.

6. sport14692

sport14692 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Carencro, La
    do your roosters kind of compete to see which will have the last crow?

7. MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast

MyPetsMakeMeBreakfast Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    With the neighbors i have, Im not sure I will be able to get a rooster.......Ya know they actully once called the cops because the RADIO was to loud??? They're such nutcases!!!

8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    The bantam cochin's crow is a little lower pitched which can help, and they are so darn cute looking.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have very accute hearing. If it's within a couple miles, I'll hear it. And that's with the bath exhaust fan running all night. [​IMG]

Meanwhile, DH is very hard of hearing. It's my job to investigate all unusual sounds. And I can tell you honestly that loud radios, roosters crowing, barking dogs, shrieking kiddos? Yep, I hear it all. I rarely complain, because I know my hearing is extra enhanced.

I think more than anything, it's a case of compromise. Neighbors with good hearing are NOT "nutcases". I can't help being born with good ears. Anymore than you can help being born with insensitive ears.

I have 7 roosters. They start before dawn. Six are bantams. You be the judge of your own situation.

10. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Just I'll be moving somewhere more rural in a year or so, so if they do complain I'll just tell them it will be gone soon! Still want to know cos my partners a baker and needs to sleep during the day... but they he can sleep through me singing and the dog barking so he might be fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by