ker plunk....

ladybug99

Songster
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Monroe New Jersey
I was just in the kitchen making some coffee when I hear a kerpow out on the porch.. not thinking much as the birds are constantly crashing into our double french door, dispite the wreaths and other adornments I have placed there to prevent this...I glace out side on the deck and to my surprise I see a hawk with its wingsout spread catching a mourning dove....it had the dove pinned to the ground and his wing span was as large as the opening of the doors...I just stood there in amazement of the beauty and power of this bird...the dove died instantly....I think he was going to start pulling it apart as my dog started barking at it and if flew away with its prize....As I watched it fly into the sky over my chicken run.. I am now greatful we took the extra time, effort and money to cover thier run.....

We too have large hawks here that go after the doves. Runs for most of my birds are covered. My layer run is large, not covered and they range but I have not lost one to a hawk. Juveniles and breeding pens are all covered with something.

Had the same kerplunk against our picture window last winter. A Cooper's chasing a cardinal crashed into the window. The cardinal flew away immediately, but the hawk staggered around for a long time before it flew off.

Back
Top Bottom