Kerosene heat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by petejd, Nov 1, 2011.

1. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    We are housing our 2 week old chicks in our garage(20' x 40'). We also run our business out of there. Would their be a problem if I heated the the area with a kerosene heater to take the chill off in the morning? The chicks are under a heat lamp. The heat is for us and our employees. Bad idea? Let me know your thoughts...

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I used to have a Kero-Sun heater. It was OK, but the fumes do bother many people. Turn it off outside, fill it outside, light it outside... all those things help, but still, some folks get headaches, while others pay no mind to it at all. Hard to say. Chickens can't talk, so it'd be hard to get their opinion.

3. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    We have used it for the last 5-6 years, but not with chickens in the garage. The heater is one of the jet heaters. It will run you out of the shop within about 30 minutes because it get too warm. Just wondering if I need to worry about the chickens.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Any fumes there may be could be caused from an unclean or too long of a wick. I use Kerosene as a heat source when the power goes out in the winter storms but never smell fumes. If you look at some of the old time incubators they used Kerosene as a heat source.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:

True that! Of course, the buildings were a little drafty too! Fresh air, ya know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by