Kerosine Heater in coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by henney penny, Dec 20, 2013.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Has anyone ever run a kerosene heater in the coop to warm it up?It gets really cold hear -20 and I wanted to warm the coop up at night for my birds,but was wondering about the fumes.I have lots of ventilation in my coop and it would not be nears anything flammable.I see some nice looking ones at walmart and was thinking this would help on those really cold nights.Any feed back? Right now am using heat lamps at night but it is so expensive to run those.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  2. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Yikes!..I don't run heat...mine seem to do fine ..just keep it dry and clean...lots of straw bales.

3. kingfrodo

kingfrodo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2013
    Enterprise, AL
    Chickens are pretty hardy so I don't supplement heat. But defiantly no kerosene heater.

That scares me!!

4. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I should say I have bantams cochins and silkies.I don't worry about the cochins because of their feathering,but the silkies need help staying warm when it gets down in the teens in the coop.Whn the light bill gets over $200.00 a month dh complains,don't know why lol

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Dangerous!!!! Plus burning kerosene generates a lot of moisture.

6. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I did not know that,thanks.Have decided against it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by