Keter storage shed into a coop

San

Songster
12 Years
Mar 22, 2007
Appelscha, The Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
So I bought on second hand to turn in to a coop.

http://www.keter.com/products/manor-46s/ its this one.

Now I have noticed the walls are thin but we don't have the severe winters. Mostly around - 15 C in winter times.
I need some ideas about roosting and nest boxing.
At first a was thinking no drilling in the wall so I need to make some kind of ladder roosting and nest boxes on the floor.
But I also want some storage room for food and things and was thinking to use the upper space for nesting boxes.
Wood is very expensive over here but would I need a board against the walls so I can secure things or not?

Any advice is welcome this is my own project and I am not a handy woman :( but still want to try it.

Nesting boxes need to be lower than roosts or they'll sleep in them making dirty eggs.

I'd put the nest on the floor or elevated slightly. You can use something like a milk crate or 5 gallon bucket on its side for a nest. Two nests will be plenty for the 4 or 5 birds you'll have in there.

You could build a loft along the back half for storage and suspend your roost from the ceiling.
The storage area should probably be enclosed because of all the dust they generate.

My biggest concern is that you should add more ventilation. IMO, the ventilation isn't enough for that many birds.
I'd consider pulling out the window and replacing it with something that breathes but keeps predators out - like hardware cloth.

Nesting boxes need to be lower than roosts or they'll sleep in them making dirty eggs.

I'd put the nest on the floor or elevated slightly. You can use something like a milk crate or 5 gallon bucket on its side for a nest. Two nests will be plenty for the 4 or 5 birds you'll have in there.

You could build a loft along the back half for storage and suspend your roost from the ceiling.
The storage area should probably be enclosed because of all the dust they generate.

My biggest concern is that you should add more ventilation. IMO, the ventilation isn't enough for that many birds.
I'd consider pulling out the window and replacing it with something that breathes but keeps predators out - like hardware cloth.

I was planning on making ventilation roosters on every side of the walls extra above and down. I am not sure if I or my BF can fixed that with the window and I'm not sure if they have hardware cloth over here. But i could be an option!

I now use a special nest box because I have an egg eater, I am trying to get another one ( or 2).It's just that I am not a big fan of nests on the floor but I realize I can't hang them because of the thin walls. So elevate is an option.

This is the coop for them to go into at night, the have a free range.
Maybe the storage unit is just not a good idea because of the space..

It's not a bad idea, it's ready made - sort of.
How many birds did you want in there?

You can just set the nest on bricks or blocks.

Oh sorry I didn't mean the shed hahaha I meant the storage space inside to storage the food..

At the moment just 5 chickens overall bantams.. The blocks are a good idea.

Last edited:
Even the storage isn't a bad idea. If only a small shelf for extra feeders, waterers, small packages of grit, oyster shell, probiotics, vitamins, ACV, etc..

That would be plenty of room for 5 bantams. If they forage all day and only in to sleep and with the added ventilation you could fit a few more.

Last edited:
Tiny problem, my partner doesn't want me too turn it into a coop but use it for real storage
barnie.gif
, so now I need to look for a new project to turn in to a coop because I am selling the one I am using now.

San, here is some information on designs. While it is constructed out of wood, other materials are possible. Having been to the NEtherlands, most of the buildings and barns are made of brick. I expect that is expensive but durable. http://archive.org/stream/openairpoultryho00wood#page/n7/mode/2up

I have seen pics of everything from horse box, to a car used as a coop. Perhaps a calf hutch,

I use recycled wood products. Like wooden pallets-- don't know if you have many there in HOlland. ANd I use plywood from a crate company.

What about converting a clothes closet/wardrobe . . . .I mean the old style medevil clothes storage furniture that can be moved outside and converted. .

Hoping one of these ideas will help you find a solution. GOod luck.

@San

Here is a bit of information you may find helpful

I have used all types of litter for coops.

I have not tried sand (sand gets good reviews on this site).

Of all the things I tried to date wood pellets have been the best. (I tried wood pellets as a last resort when pine shavings were not available.) They are super absorbent and swell up and eventually turn to saw dust. The droppings just seem to vanish and turn to dust when it comes in contact with wood pellets .

Replace my litter and clean my coop every October after I harvest my garden.

Works for me in my deep litter method.

I do add to pellets from time to time.

I have 63 trips around the sun so it is not my first rodeo.

I have anywhere from 10 to 15 birds housed in my 4x8 coop.

Through the winter months the bedding froze harder than concrete with -40º temperatures. The poop froze before it could be absorbed by the pellets and there was like a crusty layer of poop in certain areas where they collectively took aim (no smell, messy feet or flies @ -40º). Come April things started to look after themselves.

Oh I might add I do have poop boards 3½" below my roost that I clean every 2 to 3 days (excellent for catching eggs laid through the night). My roost are 2x4 wide side up and are housed in cups which allows me to set them aside for easy cleaning of the poop board (I have a piece of vinyl flooring over my pop board that is just friction fit pops out easily when soiled and pops back in after cleaning.

Easy Peasy!

In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.
I have three levels in my coop and a bit of storage over my nest boxes (milk crates with a board in front zip tied into place) Also more milk crates on top for storage. My favourite addition is my poop board!

Easy peasy!.

Chicken coop is salvaged 4x8 metal shed.

Diary of last winter cold snap check out the link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738994/chickens-arctic-conditions-prolonged-period

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom