1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Kewi the Button Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by duckncover, Feb 9, 2009.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Out of curiosity what color is she? And when would be the best age to introduce her to the chicks? Also what temperature should i have the brooder ready at?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Very cute! I'm new to buttons so I dont know the colors... there are a lot of experts on here though... you'll get an answer quickly!

3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    how about now?

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Lol. What have the people done to you?! I was satisfied with the 35 button eggs in the bator and 5 adults, now I have all of them AND 15 chicks! It's your fault that I have them! I was doing good too, I steeled myself against baby buttons all day at work, telling myself that I'll have the eggs to hatch, plus my adults should be laying soon, then the coturnix eggs will have to be reordered. I was sure that I was only going to bring home 13 chicks, until I saw the [email protected] things, then I was sure I was bringing some home for myself, lol.

6. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    It's BYC'itis It's a life long addiction that no amount of rehab or drug could possible cure! It is spread BYCer to BYCer only!

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    She's either a wild or a golden pearl. [​IMG] it's 'hard to tell the pics are a lil blurry [​IMG]

8. ButtonQuailHeaven

ButtonQuailHeaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2009
    Michigan
    Your hen is a Golden Pearl. The brooder should start at 95 for the first week then 5 degrees lower each week. You should only introduce her to one of the chicks when it is a full grown male at about 6 weeks old. Even then be careful as they need to be introduced slowly otherwise there will be fighting and bloodshed. Buttons need to be kept in pairs only. With 16 you will need to have 8 cages eventually. They are not a flock animal and prefer to live in pairs. They are also a gamebird so things can get ugly fast if you are not careful with them. Good luck!!

9. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Don't worry I could make 8 cages if necessary! And What do you suggest I do for the brooder? I have a 20 gallon fish tank setup for them with shelf grip on it so they don't hurt their feet! I have a heat lamp with a heat bulb in it...so will that work?

10. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Make sure you have a cover for it and get the heat up before they get there. Looking hen you have there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by