Key West chickens relocating

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by merryreader, Mar 9, 2008.

1. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anyone seen the news that they are being captured and relocated. If I missed a newer post, I'm sorry, but I would really like to help and I want to adopt some of the chickens. I just need to know how to go about doing this. Has anyone adopted a chicken from Key West and I would like to know how it went. Thanks Merry

2. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    I didn't know about that....

i though the people there liked the wild chickens. Guess not.

3. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
  4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*hey-- we live near there and don't even know for sure. Personally, I suspect they "relocate" them to a Everglades gator farm. [​IMG] But, I know some counties actually hire people for chicken-catching crews, usually 7-12 person teams!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  5. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    d.k :

*hey-- we live near there and don't even know for sure. Personally, I suspect they "relocate" them to a Everglades gator farm.

What?! [​IMG] Those poor chickies...

Honestly I need to read up on them a bit, guess I hadn't heard too much about them.

DK, are they pests there?​

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Well, we have bird-fighting, santa rhea, home egg raisers, etc., etc., and when they escape that or get turned out they breed-- like euerything else down here, and yeah-- they can be a prob-- like the parrots, geckos, rabbits, pythons, tarantulas, kudzu, iguanuas, you name it!! If it gets loose-- it'll survive and thrive, usually. . .

7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I went to the Keyes last summer, loved seeing all this chicks everywhere!! I think there is mixed feeling in them there. Here are pics from our vacation there--without the KIDS!!

This one is from Hemingway house, my husband wanted to to kiss the rooster. Tihs is as close as I would get, he looked pretty weary of me!
    [​IMG]
    Here is a momma and some chicks!
    [​IMG]

I loved seeing them everywhere! Very cute. They all looked pretty healthy too and the local shop use them as a tourist attraction with stories of how they came to be there.

hope they are okay.

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

santa rhea

Glad I know what you meant, dk...

Some people think that the chickens are pests...such fools.[​IMG]

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*It's partly the type of society we have here-- can get kinda frou-frou snooty at times. "Roos are noisy, hens make messes, they cause disease, etc.. PLUS the whole "non-natiue species" issue. So much for survival of the fittest. How do they know what's really a native species, anyhow???

10. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    A friend of mine just went and meet the lady who helps in the rescue and she picked up about 30 of them. She is bring me my 2 this week. They are nice looking birds and very friendly she said plus she was able to get a bunch of babies when she was there also. I can pass the email address along if anyone is interested and you can contact Sally for more info. I believe she picked up 300 key west chickens this go round and the next one is in a few months I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by