khaki behavior change-please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklips, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ducklips

ducklips New Egg

Mar 14, 2010
    :(Hi everyone, I have a 2yr khaki female that sits by herself, she has some trouble walking when she tries to walk/run. She puts her wings out a little bit for balance and she lets me pick her up (not like her). yesterday she was fine running, playing, splashing being part of the flock. I tried to check her for egg bound but I don't know what I am looking for. To me it feels swollen (again I really don't know). There is a clutch of eggs that one of the other females sits on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Egg binding can be helped sometimes with a long swim in lukewarm water.

There are some other serious problems that can cause those symptoms. I don't want to worry you, but I have a duck who had similar symptoms this week and right now she's at the vet hospital getting fluids and antibiotics. Her kidneys are having trouble.

But there are a number of things that can cause leg problems - bumblefoot, other infections, toxicity, worms . . . do you have a vet? Something you can do in any case is get her into a warmer environment (85F), quiet, clean, and give her vitamins and whatever food you can get her to eat.

Is she eating, by the way?

3. ducklips

ducklips New Egg

Mar 14, 2010
    she was eating yesterday, I have not really been able to pay attention too much today. I did try to offer her a worm but no go. Headed back out now to check on her.

4. ducklips

ducklips New Egg

Mar 14, 2010
    update- went out to check on her, she was still acting weird so I brought her in. I put her in the tub thinking she is egg bound but, she did her "little duck butt wiggle" and a ton of these small worm looking things came off of her (they look more like fly larvae). they have a red stripe down the center. Anyone have any ideas,I already put some in a plastic bag so I can take them somewhere.

5. ducklips

ducklips New Egg

Mar 14, 2010
    she did not make it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by