Khaki broody question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckielub, Sep 20, 2011.

1. duckielub

duckielub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Kentwood
    I have a couple of Khaki hens that are about 5 months old. They have been laying eggs constantly for about a month. I have been stealing them, tried to incubate, but had a massive incubator fail. So last week I started collecting a fresh batch and refrigerating when I noticed that the girls had started tag-teaming it. Before, they had no interest in the next, and now at various times during the day one of them will go sit for about 30 minutes.

Still, I didn't think this would be enough to actually incubate the eggs properly. I guess I was under the impression that a hen had to sit constantly, minus food and water breaks. I was wrong. Last night I candled 8 of the 22 in the nest, and 6 had embryos forming. [​IMG]

This is my question - They are still each laying an egg every night in the nest. I assumed when one of them went broody, they would stop. But at this rate, won't they be sitting on a nest for the rest of their lives? I'm still collecting the fresh ones in the morning, but I was just wondering about the continuous laying. If I didn't collect the eggs in the morning, wouldn't they have such staggered hatch rates that they would be sitting forever?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by