Khaki Campbell Drake

wkellen

Chirping
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Henderson
I have 1 drake and he is overly agressive. He tries to mate my chickens from time to time. I have come home to find a drowned chicken a few times because of him. I kept him because I wanted to hatch some of their eggs and have more KC ducks. Luckily I got the hen ducks to sit on a huge nest. 5 hatched and I separated immediately with some chicks I bought. They turned 10 weeks today, so I put them in the coop last night with the other ducks and chickens. Just too messy to keep separate any longer. I free range, so I let all of them out this morning. I watched them and all seemed well, so I left for work. I just got home and found all 5 drowned. :( This drake's days are numbered.

I have 1 drake and he is overly agressive. He tries to mate my chickens from time to time. I have come home to find a drowned chicken a few times because of him. I kept him because I wanted to hatch some of their eggs and have more KC ducks. Luckily I got the hen ducks to sit on a huge nest. 5 hatched and I separated immediately with some chicks I bought. They turned 10 weeks today, so I put them in the coop last night with the other ducks and chickens. Just too messy to keep separate any longer. I free range, so I let all of them out this morning. I watched them and all seemed well, so I left for work. I just got home and found all 5 drowned. :( This drake's days are numbered.

That sounds horrible and sorry about your new babies :hugs :(
Yah I would say the drakes days are numbered :rant
Maybe you could separate him from the others
I've read somewhere u can do something for him to calm down I just don't remember where I read it at or what the method was
Maybe @Ren2014 @Amiga @Miss Lydia can help or know someone who can

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I may just start keeping eggs and incubate. Once hatched and I know I have a male.... off with his head.

I recall someone asking about an idea for drakes, don't remember the details.

Many people keep their youngsters separated from the drakes till the littles are as tall as the adults.

OOO no, so sorry to hear this. I'd say he's gotta go NOW. I would definitely confine him to solitaire 'drake jail' until you can get rid of him. I don't mean to be rude but I don't think babies from him are a good idea
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom