khaki campbell duckling food water and harmth

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by amosygal, Sep 24, 2011.

1. amosygal

amosygal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Hi all.
    out of 20 shipped eggs I bought only a single duckling hatched [​IMG], well, could be worse... I put him in a box (48 hours ago) with a light bulb, the temperature in the box varies from 100 under the bulb and 80 on the other side. I'm concerned if my little duckling knows how warm he should be, because I almost always find him on the cold part. Also I never saw him eat or drink, this is manly because every time I come near he gets scared. Can I count on him that when he's cold he'll go under the light, and when he is thirsty he'll drink and when he is hungry he'll eat, or do I need to assist him. BTW I dipped his bill in the water when I moved him inside.
    I'm really concerned since this is my only one...
    Thanks a lot.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Generally they know instinctively what they need in the way of warmth. I would raise the light a bit and see if it moves closer when it gets cold.

In the wild ducklings run all over the place with no heat, and only go back to mom when they get cold.

Overheating them is not good either. They should be able to get away fromt he heat when needed.

I am sure it will eat, and drink, and make a mess like all ducklings do.

To bad on the hatch rate, but good luck with your new duckling, I am sure it will want you around all of the time for companionship.

3. amosygal

amosygal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by