1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Khaki Campbell feather loss ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alaskan, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I have Khaki Campbells and Blue Swedish, as well as one runner.

All of them have perfect feathering.... EXCEPT for a few of the female Campbells.

What is up?

They are all the same age, 10 weeks old(except the runner and one Campbell female which *does* have good feathers. These 2 are 3 weeks older)

the feather loss is in the chest area.

They are so young that their flight feathers are not in all the way yet, but all the other feathers look great.

If they were lots older I would say it looks like a brood patch.

I haven't seen the ducks be mean to each other.

Any guesses?

The only thing I saw is that the areas without feathers are about where the ducks rub against the side of their pond when then lean in to drink or jump in.

But the pond is out of rubber, and doesn't seem rough at all, and the rest of the ducks seem fine.

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Hmmm, don't know what could be going on. I know my meat chickens had problems with their chest feathers, but that was cause they couldn't roost and had to lie on their bellys all the time. Maybe those feathers just haven't come in yet but the duckling fuzz has gone missing. Anyways, here's a bump, hopefully someone can help! Can you post some pics?

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I really agree with the poster above me, just sounds like they haven't grown the feathers in there yet esp since they haven't even grown wing feathers yet. I know quail are completely different, however their chest was naked for a while until the feathers grew in. [​IMG]

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Nope, good guess, but the feathers seemed to all be in all over.

Those flight feathers aren't all the way out, but everything else is in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by