Khaki Campbell feathers turning white?

Spotgieter

Songster
Apr 24, 2021
I have 2 female Khaki Campbell's and the plumage was once beautiful with the shades of brown and that wonderful pattern, but last summer it changed. I'm not sure if they're sick or is that normal? I'm concerned.

Attachments

• 20230419_183510.jpg
    20230419_183510.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
Thank you so, very much!! This makes me very happy 😊
Perfectly normal, their feathers fade from the sun. When she next molts she will be back to dark brown. The pictures below are the same duck before and after molting.
View attachment 3478365
View attachment 3478362
Hi! I'm reaching out again regarding my female khaki campbells....the flight feathers are completely bald on the ends and I've never seen any of these feathers molted or lying around. We've had them for 2 years in August and just worry about their health.

I haven't ever had KC but my own ducks my Runners and Buffs I rarely even notice they are molting until I see wing feathers growing back in, My Muuscovy now those feathers are noticeable just like my goose. But usually, The others lose their feathers and they grow back without much fanfare, And sometimes their wing tips will look really tattered after a year without molting, There aren't much laying around I have no idea where they go. I have to pick up the wing feathers from my scovy and goose or they would be on the ground forever.
They could be breaking off the tips of their wing feathers from flapping their wings and hitting them on a hard surface or fencing? They should molt soon before winter.

My Khaki females did the same thing. They did not molt their flight feathers until the second spring. I was worried too. Don't be. I would be sure that they do not get any supplemental light this winter. When you notice them starting to molt, increase their protein content. Eventually they will change these feathers too.

Back
Top Bottom