Khaki Campbell Gender ID? Pic included!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Totes Quackers, May 11, 2011.

1. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    I have a 14 week old Khaki Campbell duck named 'Hendrix'.. I have had Hendrix since he/she was 1 day old. I assumed at around the 8-10week mark Hendrix was a girl, I know Hendrix' parents and she is identical to Mum.. However! Now at 14 weeks Hendrix' 'quack' is dry and raspy and not really a 'quack'... so could Hendrix in fact be a he??? Hendrix is around 8 weeks in this pic, size and colour are pretty much the same now at 14 weeks.
    [​IMG]

2. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    I'm watching for an answer here too. I have three ducklings that look just like this, except one has no yellow at the throat.

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    HI there, I've had campbells for a few years now. From my experience, the males and females all look the same for the first 3-4 months. The males heads with turn a bit darker (sometimes a little greenish), and my males all have orange feet while me females have black feet.
    But after about 4 weeks, the males quacks will turn raspy and they are a lot quieter than the females when you pick them up. The females have a much louder and ear piercing quack.
    You say Hendrix has a raspy quack, I'm going to say its a drake.

4. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    I would have to agree and say that if there's just a raspy quack and not a full-on loud quack then it's a drake [​IMG]

5. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I've heard that drakes will have a curly feather in their tail feathers.

6. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:They do, but it doesn't show up until they have adult feathers.... sometimes it doesn't show up until they are several months old.

7. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    What is the color of the bean on the end of the bill? Also are the feathers on the wing feathers closed to the spine outlined are the feathers uniform in color? They can be sexed this way.

8. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    Thanks so much everyone, definately a very quiet and raspy little 'quack'. There's no curl in the tail feather as yet. I've been calling Hendrix a 'she' for so long.. will have to get used to saying 'he'.. ! Sad there won't be any eggs [​IMG] But the whole family love Hendrix, super friendly little quacker with a tonne of personality!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by