Khaki campbell is broody...

momof247371

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
She is sitting on 9 eggs..We found her a few days ago in an old dog kennel that has no gates so i chicken wired everything because her mate went missing about 5 days ago and another duck went missing a few days ago... We also found a dead rabbit, all chewed up about 6 feet from where she is at... Wish her luck, this is her first clutch....
23229_carol_008.jpg

23229_carol_007.jpg

I wish her the best....

I had to take my female Khaki's eggs away because the flies were swarming and it was past 30 days. She was diligent...She actually started putting leafs on top her back to camouflage herself.

I'm sorry to hear you are loosing so many ducks. Do they have somewhere to go at night...i.e.: pond, barn, coop etc.

I know she's not going anywhere...but the others...

Edited to add a thought...

Last edited:
Yes we have a big barn and 3 sheds but I believe her mate was killed defending her..she laid them in an old kennel(run) but it has a missing door so i think they thought they were safe until he got ate...the other always got out of the pasture but he usually always went in at night.. so i dunno..

O and we are currently fencing in our 1 acre pond so we can turn them out on it.. had a coyote take 12 ducks last year..

Last edited:
A broody KC hen. Wow. That is a bit unusual.

I have 11 2 month old hens now; and three drakes.

Would be nice to have a natural mother or two out of them.

Best of luck to you--HER!!

I have another khaki hen but she isnt old enough to lay yet, if she does, i hope she is a good a mother as "bonnie" is. We went out the other day to check on her and she charged us!!!!! My dh got the worst end of it, he was on his hands and knees and couldnt get back in time so she got him. She bit so hard you could hear her beak snap back together when he pulled his hand back.. he's a little skinned up but he was trying to count her eggs so he kinda deserved it(shhh dont tell him that) lol

I know what you mean about sharing nests! My turkey hen and Buff Orp hen decided they were gonna share one, it was so cute!

Duckmonk: i wish you the best!! and believe me they are FIERCE mothers!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom