1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Khaki Campbell nest

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stace91, Aug 31, 2016.

1. stace91

stace91 New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    Hi,
    My 6 year old khaki Campbell duck made a nest in my back garden with 2 eggs in around 2weeks ago and the last couple of days has started sitting on them. She is behaving differently and hardly coming out to eat or drink. I'm really worrying about her. Tonight I had to pick her up as she would not budge from the nest to put her away, I have also moved her eggs into her locked house. I don't know if the eggs are fertilised or not and I don't know what to do for the best.
    Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

It sounds like your duck has gone broody and is attempting to sit on eggs. If you own a drake, it's quite likely they are fertile. If you do not want any more ducks, simply remove the eggs from the nest and block her from returning to the area. If you would like more ducks, you can allow her to brood and hatch them, but I would recommend moving her to a safer place - such as a large dog crate - for her to brood in. She may be quite exposed to predators in the garden.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Queen Misha has given you very good advice. When female birds go broody some of them refuse to leave the nest to eat, drink or poo. They can starve to death if you don't make them take a break a few times a day to do so.

You could put water and food close to her so she can reach it without leaving her nest. If there is no chance that her eggs are fertile - you should take them away from her.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. stace91

stace91 New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    Thanks for all your replies
    I have got a drake but he's a lot smaller that my duck and I'm not sure if he does the job if you know what I mean!! I moved her into a secure place last night and this morning she got up and had a swim and something to eat and she's back on her nest.
    It's just strange that she's never done this before?!? Does she know if there fertile or not I'm starting to wonder?

7. stace91

stace91 New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    Is this egg fertile? [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I would guess that it is developing, yes. Try candling an egg that hasn't been sat on (duck, chicken, whatever) and compare them. An undeveloped egg will be completely clear/see through, while an egg that is or has been developing will be varying stages of dark coloration with blood vessels, and an obvious air sac.

10. stace91

stace91 New Egg

Aug 31, 2016
    Thanks for your reply. I haven't seen any blood vessels it just looks dark with an air sac. I have never candles eggs before as my duck has never been broody. Do you think it looks more fertilised than rotten? Sorry for so many questions I'm new to this even after 6 years!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by