Khaki Campbell not laid for 8 MONTHS!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zoeya, Feb 8, 2015.

1. zoeya

zoeya New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    I purchased 2 khaki Campbell's in April 2014. One duck has never stopped laying but the other duck has not laid for 8 months after she molted. They are fed on layers pellet and I will feed them sweet corn, peas and cabbage as a treat. They also have their own pool to bathe in. Iv tried feeding extra and giving them extra bedding. I would be grateful of any help. Thank you

2. Sindradite

Sindradite New Egg

Dec 13, 2012
    I'm having the same problem bit it also seems to have started since getting our drake.
    Does she seem happy or a bit left out?

3. zoeya

zoeya New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    I think she's not very happy, sometimes she will stand in one place for a long time looking miserable, the only time she looks happy is when she has a bath in their pool. The other duck (Delilah)has a totally different character, she runs up and down quacking for her breakfast, she always goes straight into their house at bed time while the duck thats not laying (Rosy) just stands there and i have to go get her in. Is their anyway I could help cheer her up a bit?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would take the non-laying girl to the vet. She may have internal problems. Sometimes eggs will back up inside them and make them ill to the point of death.

I don't want to panic you, but let you know these things can be serious.

I would give her extra calcium in the meantime, an extra 50 to 100 mg per day, give her time in a lukewarm bath (no soap), see if that relaxes her.

You might very very gently feel her tummy, see if you can feel anything in there. Does it appear swollen at all?

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If the drake is as vigorous with mating as some drakes can be, that will stop your ducks from laying. Try separating them for a few days with temporary fence, see if they don't start laying again.

6. zoeya

zoeya New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    I have felt her tummy and there is nothing in there and it doesn't feel swollen. What foods could I give her for extra calcium?

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Crushed oyster shell on the side, or a teaspoon of calcium gluconate 23% liquid per cup of water added to her food, or 50 mg calcium citrate per day (dissolve tanlets in water, add to food.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by