Khaki Campbell question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlady08, Jan 11, 2011.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Hi, I have one Khaki Campbell drake named Maxwell. He had a khaki friend but just disappeared one day and my husband assumed it was a fox because he has seen one nearby. But my husband now seems to think that he just flew away because there was no trace of any lost feathers, blood or anything indicating that he was snatched by the fox. I have seen my Maxwell fly across the run but still not convinced that the other just flew away.

Does anyone have any input? Will a Khaki just fly away?

2. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Most likely not. While domesticated ducks can fly, the chance they will fly off into the air like you see wild ducks doing is slim to none.

FWIW, we've lost about 20 chickens and ducks with no trace of them either....literally just gone over the course of a few weeks when the weather got cold. We know we have fox, fisher cats, owls (which just eat the throats of ours), coyotes and others like that so we've chaulked it up to predators.

3. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Thank you Glenolam

That is what I thought also that they wouldn't just fly away. But has been buggin me to ask.

Oh and stupid question what is FWIW mean? sorry :)

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    FWIW=For What It's Worth

I've seen a Runner duck fly like a wild duck can, but only once and she didn't go far. Foxes will often leave no trace--they eat the feathers, guts, bones, everything--or they carry it off and bury it for later. Domestic ducks will usually come back home if they do get very far away, so I'm sorry to say that it sounds like your girl is no more. [​IMG]

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I lost a number of Khakis this summer and all of them vanished without a trace. [​IMG] I had no idea what was happening, and am sorry to say I bumbled around for months before finally realizing that it was indeed a predator. I thought perhaps some of the hens were going off to be broody, or perhaps that they were getting sick and wandering off into the bushes to die. Finally, one morning there was a bobcat in one of the live traps. I lost a runner duck a few nights after that, and after that caught a big feral cat.

There never was any sign of capture or kill. Now we are diligent to go out an hour before sunset and put all the chickens, ducks & geese away in their pens & houses. There haven't been any losses since.

Go get Maxwell a new wife!

6. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Fox and yotes will haul the whole bird away.
    Khaki don't fly much ....at least mine don't.

just my.02

7. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Yea, I was certain it was a fox also but when I saw my Max fly across the covered run my husband said I bet your othe duck flew away. Just had to ask although I kinda thought it was the dreaded fox. Everybody has been on lockdown in their runs to stay safe.

Oh believe me I have tried to find a wife for Maxwell but in my area not many people are on this site and apparently don't look at ads. Lol

I did however find a Cayuago drake that the nice people brought me from NJ. Max was still an uncomfirmed boy until I already committed to take Martin. They are the best of friends now. I plan on getting a few girls for each this spring.

Im so sorry you lost your ducks. I love bobcats but wouldn't want them to just come and free duck dinners. Glad you got the control back away from the predators.

8. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Thanks for the input. Maxwell just flew across the run and hasn't done it since. thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by