Khaki Campbell sexing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aimeefurlong, Aug 30, 2015.

1. aimeefurlong

aimeefurlong New Egg

Aug 30, 2015
    Wexford Ireland
    [​IMG]

I recently Bought 2 khaki Campbell ducks and the man told us they were both ducks and not a drake but I'm suspicious that the duck on the left is a drake? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Also told they were point of lay and 10 months old? Should they not start laying at 4-7 months??? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sadly, the one on the left does indeed look like a drake to me. He's beautiful, though!

-Alexandra33

3. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA

The one on the left is a drake. Now you can have little KC cutie babies!

4. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Welcome to BYC!

The one on the left is a drake but not a true Khaki Campbell. From the penciling in his feathers and the partial ring around the neck it looks like it is crossed with a Rouen or Mallard. The female should start to lay at 18-20 weeks of age.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  5. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I agree with that. KCs sometimes get white on the throat, and the original ones had collars. That one does look like a hybrid based on the plumage, probably with a Rouen.

6. aimeefurlong

aimeefurlong New Egg

Aug 30, 2015
    Wexford Ireland

Thank you :) yes he is very gorgeous! Sadly won't be having babies though until we get more KCs as they are brother and sister! :( thanks for all your help :)

7. Majestymom

Majestymom New Egg

Apr 9, 2014
    Pell Lake wi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This may seem totally nuts but Ihave what looks like 2 KC boys but one of them is leaving me an egg a day. It is a green egg. I also have 3 buff ducks 2 girls and their husband Aiden. I know that buffs lay white to cream eggs so im confulsed. One of my "boy" KC is a girl in a boys body?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Are they all housed together? You might put a little food color on the Buffs' vent one night to color code the eggs to be absolutely sure that the green egg is not coming from a Buff for some weird reason.

That said, I know that every now and then, ducks will appear to be one thing and actually turn out to be another. So I am not saying it's impossible. But food coloring is non-toxic and it is one way to be sure.

9. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Yeah they totally look like boys to me but my Khakis lay white eggs.

10. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm definitely not an expert, but I have two Khakis and a Buff, and neither one lays green eggs. Both breeds lay the same off-white as far as I can tell. The only ducks in my flock so far that lay beautiful mint green eggs are the two Mallard females. I hope you can get that strange situation sorted out! [​IMG]

-Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by