Khaki Campbell sexing?

Fisherlmiranda

Songster
Feb 25, 2018
Morrow, Ohio
Trying to determine males and females, I've only heard 1 quacking, so I'm concerned I only have 1 female in the bunch.. they are about 10 weeks old
20190506_140206.jpg
20190506_140300.jpg

I see only one female out of the four. Do you have any better pictures? As in clearer and closer up? Pretty ducks.
I dont have any recent photos, other than these I took today, what are you looking for to identify the males and females? So I know what to get a better picture of.

It definitely looks like you o ly have 1 female. In the pics you can see that some are getting the dark plumage in on their heads. Also, they look to be the age where they will get their curly drake feather in on their tails soon. That is always a definite indicator.

It definitely looks like you o ly have 1 female. In the pics you can see that some are getting the dark plumage in on their heads. Also, they look to be the age where they will get their curly drake feather in on their tails soon. That is always a definite indicator.
Yeah, I guess I will just wait for the drake feathers. Its confusing because only one is getting a green head. Is the black bill dot and indication? I was gonna just butcher a bunch of drakes but I guess I can put it off till the drake feathers come in just to be sure. I've got way to many drakes! And got these four khaki to try and even things out lol. Just made problem worse. The khaki with the yellowish bill and the black bill dot, here in the center is the one who has green feathers coming in on his head.
20190508_081518.jpg

but see here, the two khaki to the left of him have a darker bill with the bill dot but there heads are staying brown, they also have light colored wing tips like the green head one. The khaki to the back of them on the right is the one I know to be female, she quacks loudly and looks like the breed standard female.
20190508_081529.jpg

I've heard others on here state that bill color isn't always a guaranteed indicator with KCs. My 1 year old KC drake has a light colored bill with a dark bean though if that helps any

Can you separate them and listen. It sounds like you know what to listen for. I think some of my KCs got Drake feathers before you could tell by head color. I have had similar issues with to many male birds. 3 roos for every 2 hens and only 4 hens out of 15 in my ducks last year.

Can you separate them and listen. It sounds like you know what to listen for. I think some of my KCs got Drake feathers before you could tell by head color. I have had similar issues with to many male birds. 3 roos for every 2 hens and only 4 hens out of 15 in my ducks last year.
Yeah it is hard to listen to individuals with my 12 birds. And those KC are hard to catch, they are the most skittish out of my clan. I have 6 hens and 6 drakes :( I've started this to have eggs to sell. They go for 9$ a dozen in my area. I want to get down to 2 drakes. One will be my Welsh drake, that way I can hatch out my welsh Harlequin eggs and sell them, I've had several people request welsh ducklings. They are rare here.

Back
Top Bottom