Khaki Campbell stoped laying!

Rosewarrior

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 1, 2011
My little girl stoped laying about a week and half ago. My Khaki drake and my gril have been consumating. Do they stop laying eggys if they are pregnant? Please let me know, I'm starting to get concerned.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Not to sure what you mean by a duck being " pregnant" . Do you mean Broody? When they start to sit on the eggs? If so then yes - they will stop laying after they have been sitting for a few days. But if your duck isnt sitting on her eggs- then it may be something else that has stopped her laying.
Season things - day light hours- and molting can be two things that will stop a duck from laying- How old is your duck??

By preganant, I meant does it take longer to develop a fertilized egg than a non-fertle egg. And she may be not laying cuz she is molting. Which is wierd because I thought ducks/chickens molt in early spring. I got them in april for an earlt easter present. So I figure it takes about a month to hatch, so they will be a year in March.. sometime.

Eggs still take the same amount of time to develop inside the duck regardless of if ti is fertile or not - but it sounds then that molting is your issue. Because this is her first year- she may not molt quiet at the expected times. Molts have to do with age to begin with as they grow -and then seasonal as adults so she will settle into a more regular seasonal molt in the future more aligned with the seasons.

Soe ducks may stop laying for 2-3 weeks- other 5-6 weeks while they molt. I hope your is the shorter end of the scale and you start to see some eggs again in March sometime.

Thanks I truely appreciate your shareing your info. I was starting to really worry.
hugs.gif
:D

My Khaki never molts at the right time and he egg production does drop during this time because it is too stressful to grow new feathers and lay eggs!

To help her molt quickly, you could giver her a chopped hard boiled egg as extra protein so she can make those feathers!

My ducks quit laying until I left the light on near their pen in the evening until about 8:00 pm. They need about 12 - 14 hours of light to lay.

Mine haven't been laying for two months. Frankly, I'm tired of their mooching ways but, short of running an extension cord out to the pen and turning on a light, there's not much I can do. Light, molting, and a million other factors can impact laying, not to mention almost no duck will lay every day all year long. Even heavy laying "breeds" won't always be heavy layers if the breeder wasn't working hard on the lines.

Relax & enjoy. She'll probably pick back up in a few weeks.
smile.png

Several of my khaki hens have gone into molt. Is it typical behavior while molting to stop eating? One of my hens has been on a hunger strike now for a few days and I'm beginning to worry.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom