Khaki Campbell Temperment

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gabby2016, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Gabby2016

Gabby2016 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    HI! Need some guidence from some of you pros out there. We are looking at getting some Khaki Campbells to start out little "duck farm". I have seen in a couple of places that label the Khaki Campbells as nervous and others that say they are more calm. I'm thinking that if we are around them alot or handle them alot while they are growing from ducklings to adults they may be more social and calm. What have you found in your experience? Thanks for any advice.

2. ckarnie

ckarnie New Egg

Sep 30, 2016
    I am no expert, but started our small khaki farm last April. Both the drakes and the ducks have been shy and gentle. The shyness actually works well when herding them into their duck house. That said, attempting to encourage them to be social with treats has only made them more used to coming within 3 feet of me on their own. Maybe we didn't hold them enough as ducklings (from tractor supply). I wouldn't call mine nervous as long as I am not making quick sudden movements. So far these have been great, seem content and produce an egg a day since 6 weeks ago!

One other note is that we fenced a roaming area with 2ft chicken wire. Only once did a duck slip out (probably under a loose section bordering a hill). It seems as soon as the duck realized it was out, it wanted to be back inside the fence to be with the rest of the pack. These ducks all stick together...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    [​IMG]
    No more to add except we handled ours a lot(we also got them from TSC), and they are no more tame than yours. Its just the temperament. Love it if someone has got a really tame one to show us.
    They can get used to being picked up but that's not to say they enjoy it like my other special pet duck seems to. BUt they are great egg layers and that makes em worth it if you want a lot of eggs.
    There's a Khaki Campbell duck thread here check it out! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/302654/the-khaki-campbell-duck-thread

4. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    I have one Khaki drake and i love him he is the coolest duck ever. I love his temperment.......However i know nothing about the girls....

5. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Handling laying ducks that aren't really really tame isn't a good idea. If they struggle a forming egg can break, and the shell can cut them and it'll just be a mess(thank God I've never had that, but that's why i don't catch my girls unless they have a health problem(like limping)).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by