Khaki Campbell with VERY tight crop/throat

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by QuailMum, May 5, 2017.

1. QuailMum

QuailMum Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Hi all! I am raising two ducklings- a khaki Campbell and a black Swedish -for my AP Environmental class. today I went to check in on them and I noticed how bulged and stiff my khaki's throat area was. My AP teacher said to get her in water so she could drink a lot to either wash it down or cough it up. I had her in 2 tubs since I've been home and it still feels very tight. She's pooped a few times, though the stool is very watery. I'm worried she was eating the wood chips from the cage she was in at school? They're both about 3-4 weeks old, so decently sized, I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to help her move whatever it is out? Thanks.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    do your ducklings have access to grit? or dirt and rocks?
    and do they have water 24/7?
    they need the water at all times. and grit or dirt / tiny rocks from outside so they can digest things like wood chips, or whatever foods and things they eat

3. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    x2

any update @QuailMum

4. QuailMum

QuailMum Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016

What is the best way to make that available to them? Is letting them poke around out side every day enough or should I supply a pan or dirt/grit in their cage?

5. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    either way will work, if outside they will find their own otherwise you need to provide it to them but not in their food, on its own

1 person likes this.
  6. QuailMum

QuailMum Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016

Awesome thank you so much! I'm glad I can rely on people like you to help me out with the big questions!

1 person likes this.
  7. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    we are all here to help [​IMG] enjoy your new ducks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by